Team Building Welcoming in New Faces
Take time to build as a team. The more unified your group is the better they will perform and meet expectations.
Throughout the last couple months at SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes we have had the opportunity to welcome new faces, unfortunately that meant saying goodbye to a few as well. We took that opportunity to create a day to spend as a team and get to know one another.
Our management team firmly believes in the fact that oftentimes we spend more time with our work family than we do our own at home, so why not spend the time to grow as a family too? We decided to take an afternoon off and play a few games having members of our management team, our construction team, and our production team intermix and work together on our communication skills.
One game we had was a "know your equipment" relay, as we all eventually work a different job throughout the course of the year we felt that it was a great opportunity to ensure everyone knew what each piece of equipment did.
The second game we did a load the truck challenge, some days get hectic and we need all vans prepped and ready to go and this challenge helped remind everyone where everything was and what equipment was needed in the event of a major water loss.
The final game was Hammerschlagen, which gave a little favor to our construction crews but was a team effort as everyone competed to be the first to sink their team's nail into the log.
Overall it was a fantastic day with plenty of laughter and appreciation for one another. Here at SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes we believe we are One Team with One Mission.
The Art of Deodorization
Fires can happen anytime and anywhere, when disaster strikes call SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes 712-262-4379
I don't know how many times my daughter has burned a bag of popcorn, but let me tell you that smell lingers for hours! While it eventually goes away, after a major fire those odors linger significantly longer. That is why the team at SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes specializes in deodorization. There are four principles of deodorization that we follow after a fire:
1. Remove the source. The charred material all needs to be removed first to start the process.
2. Remove soot residue. This needs to happen as soon as we are able to get to it. This will help minimize damage.
3. After removing the residue, our franchise professionals use different methods to remove odor. This principle is called "recreate the conditions of penetration." We use many different methods to remove odor form objects such as ozone machines, hydroxyl fans , and thermal foggers to remove odor.
4. When necessary, our team members seal and encapsulate the odor using special sealing materials, so the odor does not penetrate the sealer and continue to produce an odor.
When disaster strikes, the SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes team is able to assist with any fire, smoke, and soot damage to help make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes
Proud Sponsor of Youth Athletics
We are proud sponsors of youth athletics in the region. We have faithfully sponsored teams throughout Clay and Dickinson Counties.
At SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes we believe that it is our responsibility to give back to the communities that we operate in. We understand the impact of and importance of sports for our youth. Team sport participation promotes health and wellbeing, builds confidence, and can help maintain mental health. Sports help kids to develop self-control, persistence, and accountability. Communication, social, and emotional skills are strengthened when children learn to work as a team. Physical activities provide young people healthy opportunities to learn skills, take risks, and achieve goals.
This spring we were able to sponsor one of the boys little league teams, which won the season championship….good job boys!! This fall we were the proud sponsor of the NWISC boys U10 team. The boys showed a lot of improvement throughout the season! Part of our crew was able to go cheer on the Spencer Tiger football team as the Game Day Sponsor a few weeks back.
Each year we look forward to giving back to the future leaders of our community. Your hard did not go unnoticed, and we are excited to see you all again next season!
It's Not Clean Until It's SERVPRO Clean
Remember...it's not clean unless it's SERVPRO clean! 712-262-4379
Did you know that SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes offers residential and commercial cleaning services? Our team of professionals have the expertise to provide a deeper clean to leave your home or business looking its best!
Having family over for the holidays? Carpets not looking their best? Pets causing an unpleasant odor? Don’t worry we got you covered! With over 40 years of experience and professionals trained to the highest standards we will have your home ready to greet your family and friends in no time!
Throwing a company party? Don’t have time to worry about the common wear and tear that soils your office? Our cleaning experts will have your business shining from top to bottom.
Have you heard of Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned? It is our new defensive pathogen cleaning program that goes way beyond standard janitorial cleaning practices. We have over 50 years of experience in biochemical spill remediation and decontamination.
To get a free quote or to learn more about all the services that we offer feel free to give our office a call at 712-262-4379.
Fire Safety Advice from Fire Restoration Professionals
SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes, an industry leader in fire restoration. When disaster strikes, call us...712-262-4379.
How many times have you heard of a forgotten a pizza in the oven or turned a burner on with a plastic bowl or Tupperware sitting on the stove. Or, my personal favorite, a former employee who made ramen for lunch and forgot to add water. Fire, smoke, and water damage can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone.
SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes is an industry leader in fire and water restoration. The past 18 months our office have helped 38 homes and businesses in northwest Iowa after a fire loss. Here are some of the most common causes of fire, smoke, and soot damage to homes and businesses...
- Cooking equipment – Cooking is one of the leading causes of fire. When cooking with oil or grease, the extreme temperatures can easily spark a flame as they spill onto the cooktop. Holiday cooking are reported to be the highest call volume days for our local fire departments. From juggling the cooking and entertaining duties, our concentration levels aren't always where they should be. With family get togethers also means the likelihood of requiring additional roasters and other cooking appliances. Oftentimes too many kitchen appliances lead to overloaded circuits and increased fire risk.
- Candles – We all want our home or business smelling nice, and what better way than burning a candle. Candles, when placed too close to a wall, can start fires due to prolonged exposure to heat in addition to soot damage on walls. They also become problematic when left unattended and pets are in the home. They can unintentionally knock the candle over leading to much larger fire damage concerns.
- Smoking – If a cigarette or cigar is not completely put out, the embers could still be a risk to ignite a fire. Just last year our crew helped restore an apartment complex after a fire caused by a cigarette poorly disposed of outside of the building. That put every tenant looking for a new or temporary place to live until the property could be properly repaired.
- Barbeque – During the summer months we all enjoy some outdoor cooking. Things to remember when cooking outdoors are to have your grill, smoker, etc. far enough away from your home or garage so if a fire sparks due to grease falling into the flames. Keeping those away from structures also prevents melting of vinyl siding and potential soot damage.
- Wiring – When it comes to the wiring in your home, you don’t want to take any short cuts. It should be up to date, and installed by a professional. Overheating or faulty wiring can quickly spark a fire inside your home or business.
- Christmas tree – The Christmas tree is everyone’s favorite, whether it’s a real tree or artificial. If it’s a real tree, you want to make sure that the stand is full of water so the tree doesn’t dry out. With both artificial and natural trees, placing them too close to a heat source (such as a fireplace or baseboard heater) can be a fire hazard.
- Heating Equipment – During cooler months, it is common practice to use a space heater. It is critical that all heating elements are kept a safe distance from any combustible materials. A minimum of 6" should be kept between a heat source and any other materials.
While fires may be accidental, take some extra steps to help prevent any major damage to your home or business.
Remember when disaster strikes, call the team that's Faster to Any Disaster...SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes. With the help of our dedicated reconstruction team, we can truly make it "Like it never even happened."
Winter Storm Prep
SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes is Here to Help in the event of a frozen pipe or any disaster this winter. Call 712-262-4379
Well we aren't even to November and talking about winter storms, I think most would agree that 2020 can just stop with all their shenanigans. That being said, it's not a bad time to start discussing a few tips/ideas to prep in the event of a winter storm.
Northwest Iowa is certainly no stranger to winter weather, but do you have the necessary supplies if your power goes out or if your vehicle is stranded?
- Blankets - Whether you are thinking about your car or your home, it is a good idea to ensure you have plenty of blankets in the event of a power outage or stranded vehicle.
- Water - While it is difficult to store water in a vehicle in frigid temperatures, if you wrap them in your stored blankets when packing your prep kit they will stay cold but usually do not freeze. At home it is a good idea to make sure you have at least one package of bottled water.
- Weather Radio/Batteries/Flashlight - If stuck in your vehicle for long periods of time, you will need to conserve your fuel which also means your radio likely won't be playing. Having a weather radio to hear updates and road conditions can come in handy. Make sure you have extra batteries just in case.
- Food - We're from the Midwest, we like to eat. Make sure you have plenty of food on hand to wait out those long storms. With being in such a rural area some small towns do not have grocery stores making it difficult for folks to get into town for vital supplies. During long periods of time at home make sure you have plenty of supplies on hand.
- Heat Source - Whether you have a space heater, fireplace, wood stove, etc. make sure you have plenty of fuel and that each is properly ventilated. Even in the car it may not hurt to find a battery operated heat source.
There are many other things to keep in mind when holding out a winter storm at home or on the road. For more ideas visit www.ready.gov or www.weather.gov/oun/safety-winter-safetykit.
Stay safe this winter season. Should you find yourself with frozen pipes or smoke damage from indoor fireplaces give SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes a call at 712-262-4379.
Drought Conditions Cause Winter Concerns
In 2020, be prepared for anything...Call SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes at 712-262-4379
Hard to believe it wasn't long ago we were talking about flooding and how to fight off water damage, now here we are in moderate to extreme drought conditions.
These conditions lead to an early harvest for many and in some cases a poor yield. Normally this would spark a discussion for increased fire risk, which is absolutely true, but as we creep ever so close to winter we should also be concerned about the risk for additional water damage.
If we are in a drought how can we have water damage right?!
Well I will be honest, I did not realize this was an issue until I stopped into a business partner this past week and we began discussing winter. Now we all know how this goes, we hear 100 different stories on what to expect for the winter until we all give up the guessing game and just wait it out.
Our business partner and I began discussing the extreme cold that was predicted, and the concern for the frost pushing deeper into the ground than normal. When the ground freezes around the incoming water pipe that leads to a greater concern for pipes bursting before they reach the home or business. When this happens more often times than not the water will saturate the soil around the pipe and eventually find its way into the basement leading to even more damage.
In some cases as homeowners we simply can't prevent everything, but a nice layer of snow prior to deep frost will help act as insulation and heavily watering the area around those incoming pipes will cause the soil to act as an insulation barrier helping to reduce the risk.
Should you find yourself facing disaster, call the team that's always faster...SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes.
You Got Fire - We Got You
If you suffer from soot or smoke damage in your house or business call us at (712) 262-4379.
Fires can be especially devastating to your home or business. Let our team of highly trained professionals ease some of the burden on you. The first 24 hours after a fire can make the difference between restoring or replacing your belongings. With our 24/7 emergency service we are faster to any size disaster. We use our specialized equipment and cleaning techniques to get your belongings back to preloss condition. SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes will work with your insurance company for a stress-free claims process. Our fire restoration services don’t just stop at cleaning, we have our very own in house reconstruction crew with years of experience that will make your home look “Like it never even happened.” If you have any questions about fire, soot, or smoke damage call our office today at (712) 262-4379.
Large Scale Water Loss
No job too large or small, we cover them all!
SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes is a locally owned company that is part of a national network of over 1,700 Franchises. This allows us to respond faster to any disaster. We were recently called on by a neighboring franchise to help with a three story large water loss. Within hours we were able to send a team of our highly trained water restoration technicians along with a trailer of specialized equipment to assist in the restoration process. Our drying equipment ranges from air movers that speed up the drying process, dehumidifiers that work by removing excess moisture and humidity from the air, to desiccant dehumidifiers that can remove 500+ gallons of water per day.
Since a fast response to a water call lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces cost we offer a free service to local businesses called an emergency ready profile (ERP). A member from our marketing staff will meet with you to develop an ERP that helps you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. We just need a few minutes of your time and our staff will do the rest of the work in providing you with a paper and digital copy of all your important contact information, shut off valve locations, and priority areas of your business. If you are interested in learning more about how our ERP’s work call our office today at (712)-262-4379.
Summer's Over - Time to Holiday Prep your Business
Call us today to schedule a basic cleaning/sanitation of your business. Make sure you're prepped and ready for the holiday rush. 712-262-4379
With the busy summer travel season behind us, now is the time to start thinking about prepping for holiday shopping and travel. With COVID-19 still at the front of everyone's minds, holiday shopping is sure to be impacted.
Whether you operate a retail store front, restaurant, or hotel SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes can help you and your customers stay safe.
With fall traditionally being a slower time for many businesses before the rush of the holiday season, now is the perfect time to schedule a simple basic clean and sanitation of your business. Our team of professionals will come into your business and clean/sanitize the high touch/high traffic areas to help reduce the potential spread of the virus.
While our team is there, they can assist you with any additional cleaning needs such as carpet cleaning, window cleaning, or event just a deep cleaning of your facility.
Call today to talk about your commercial cleaning needs. 712-262-4379