Be Prepared for Commercial Water Damage
Water damage can strike your commercial property at any time and without notice. The effects of water damage can be devastating to a business owner. Are you prepared for bursting pipes, roof leaks, or severe flooding? Do you have a plan of action? Before we talk about ways to help prevent water damage, it is important to know some of the most common causes of water damage.
Common Causes of Commercial Water Damage
- Sewage Backup
- Broken or damaged pipes.
- Storms and flooding
- Window or roof leaks.
- Sprinkler malfunctions.
- HVAC systems & appliances.
- Foundation damage.
While it is not always possible to prevent situations such as leaks or flooding, many of the common causes of water damage can be lessened with some preventative policies.
How to Prevent Commercial Water Damage
- Perform regular inspections. Inspect the interior and exterior of your commercial property to identify and address damage quickly.
- Inspect plumbing. Hire a professional to conduct regular maintenance on the plumbing system.
- Have an emergency plan. When disaster strikes your business, having a plan in place ahead of time for what you will do can make all the difference in whether your business survives the event. For information about the free SERVPRO Emergency Ready Program, please visit www.ready.SERVPRO.com or call Kelly Brooks at (712) 262-4379.
- Clean Gutters. Gutters clogged with leaves, sticks and other debris can cause a leaky roof or water damage to the interior or exterior of your property.
- Keep up on repairs & upgrades. Windows typically need to be replaced every 20 years. Conduct routine inspections and maintenance on all appliances in your business. When things are outdated they could potentially cause a water problem.
- Check sprinkler systems. Make sure to have your sprinkler systems inspected regularly so they are not leaking or spraying water directly at your business.
- Make sure you have enough insurance coverage. Water damage is a leading cause of commercial property loss, and can lead to significant building damage resulting in financial loss.
SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes provides service for all size losses small to large.