If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (712) 262-4379

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Causes of House Fires in Fall

10/5/2018 (Permalink)

Contents left unattended ignite kitchen fire, the picture shows the aftermath of the stove-top.

Fall in Northwest Iowa tends to mean lesser fire calls.  Statistics show that fall tends to be the season with the fewest amount of fires, but there are some potential hazards within your home that you can be easily taken care of to help stave off a disaster.  

1) Unattended Candles - Leaving a burning flame unattended is not always a recipe for disaster until you have a pet or small child.  The child or pet can inadvertently knock the candle onto the floor and start a fire.  Make sure you have those in an area that is without reach or keep a constant eye on the candle.  

2) Unattended Contents on Oven/Stove - It is easy to step away from the stove or oven when cooking/baking.  A quick run to the restroom or visitor at the door can take attention away from the stove and contents can boil over and quickly start a fire.  It does not take long for the fire to spread, make sure to keep a watchful eye on what you've got cooking! 

3) Dryer Vents - The vent tube on your dryer is a constant collector of lint which when heated enough can cause fire.  When running a vent tube try to minimize the number of turns of you have in the tube to promote proper airflow and minimization of lint accumulation.  At least once a year clean your vent tube, your local hardware store should have a kit to help get the hard to reach areas.  As an added benefit, this should help your clothes dry better.  

4) Poorly disposed of cigars/cigarettes - With the dry leaves and grass outside it is easy for smokers to flick their cigarette butts into the yard, but a small spark alone can start a fire.  Though northwest Iowa has suffered from its fair share of wet conditions, things may change and this is something to keep in mind.  Dispose of your cigar/cigarette butts responsibly.

5) Faulty Electrical - Many homeowners have taken to doing their own projects around the house including electrical.  Some things to consider when doing electrical work is making sure everything is grounded properly and that there are no loose connections.  Make sure to have wire nuts handy as well as electrical tape.  By not having proper connections the electrical current can arc and start a fire.  Also keep in mind as you replace outlets, when putting an outlet in high moisture areas use a GFI outlet to add an extra layer of protection. 

By taking a few precautionary steps, preventing a home or business fire can be easy.  Take the extra time and make sure it is done right and keep an eye on those potential hazard points.  

Remember, if disaster strikes call the professionals at SERVPRO of Spencer & Iowa Great Lakes. 


Other News

View Recent Posts